Using the Dragonfly Wood Site
School groups and clubs can join us in the woods, or book the site for your own outdoor learning adventures. Costs are outlined below.
Any curriculum area can be planned for in the woodland, for a one-off event or a full term of regular sessions. Check our resources page to find ideas to take learning outside, or speak to a Dragonfly Wood practitioner.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability for your group.
Costs: We keep site hiring costs as low as possible, knowing the restrictions budgets can place on getting outdoors to learn. The Dragonfly Wood site is shared on a not-for-profit basis with costs covering indoor cleaning, provision of firewood and basic kit.
- Hire the site with a qualified forest school practitioner leading forest school or outdoor learning activities for your group: £75 per half day (Please note, these are usually booked for a minimum of one term or six weeks.)
- Hire the site with a trained campfire and tool use practitioner: £55
- Hire the site for half a day: £10 per group (half day: 9.30 a.m. – 12.00 or 1.00 – 3.30 p.m. or 5.00 – 7.00 p.m.
Hire the site for a full day 9.30 – 3.00: £25 per group (including use of the cabin for lunchtime).
Site hire includes
- full use of the site, including sheltered spaces and campfire* area
- woodstock for a campfire* in the Wood Shed
- access to seasonal resources in the Forest Shed
- tools* available on request
- mains water and toilet facilities
- tea making facilities (electric and campfire)
- cups and spoons
- a copy of the site risk assessment
Kit to bring with you
- appropriate seasonal woodland clothing for the group
- refreshments, including tea bags, milk etc.
- packed lunches for full days
We ask that all groups leave the woodland and the sheltered spaces as they were found, in order to keep our costs to a minimum. Please take all rubbish home with you. Please wash up any cups and cutlery used, returning all kit to the boxes provided.
*Please note: for insurance purposes you will need to ensure your school or group insurance covers the following; the leader of your group to carry out your planned activities, including campfires, tool use or use of the climbing boulder, an appropriate ratio of adults to children. You will be asked to confirm this has been checked before bookings can be authorised. Please get in touch with any questions.
Practitioners holding a Level 3 Forest School award, and those completing ‘Fire and Tool Use with Young People’ with Natural Learning at Tamar Lake Forest School or the Dragonfly Wood will have covered the skills required to safely use the campfire area. Teachers and group leaders can attend ‘Fire and Tool Use with Young People’ (1 day training course) without completing a full forest school award course.